Friday, March 16, 2007

he gets me

My best friend is a missionary. I met him a long time ago, it seems. This weekend we will celebrate 12 years of married life.

One of the things that I am blessed by is the realization that he's paying attention. He knows that I am not a lace & crystal kind of girl. Today he came in from an appointment and said he had a present for me. He said he'd been walking through the market and he walked past one of the sellers and then went back to it. This is the bowl he pulled out of his bag... it has a smaller cousin settled happily on my kitchen shelf.

I love knowing that he knows me. Twelve or thirteen years ago, he maybe would have bought lace & crystal for me, because he grew up with this kind of elegant feminine beauty. Today he knows and appreciates a different kind of beauty.

We joked about it today... our sons might grow up and marry elegant and lacey girls. The first gift they give could be a pottery gravy boat - won't she be impressed?!? The cycle continues, I suppose... as for me - I have a great best friend.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Happy Anniversary, Auntie Em! Twelve years...wow. I hadn't realized that it had been that long. Time is going by fast! Yes, I know how wonderful it is to know that your man is paying attention. I think your bowl is perfection. It reminds me of a time before we were married when Caleb send a bouquet home with Daddy one Wednesday night when I was sick...and you know what it was? Beautiful red fall leaves and soft tassels from a certain kind of bush that he had picked for me on his way to church. It was perfect because he remembered that I LOVED the way the leaves turn color in his town and knew that they would make me happy. Our God is good to give us men like that, isn't He?!

Anonymous said...

Emmachka - Happy anniersary tomorrow. How can it be 12 years? Wonderful indeed that he "gets" you and knows your heart. Blessings to you all.

Karrie Diggs said...

Precious sister - oh how I have missed your blog. I stopped by the old house and had 5 minutes to read my favorite blogs and yours is right up there. I LOVE your bowl and I LOVE even more that he gets you. There is such a priceless gift in being lovingly known. I am so glad you have that gift in K. We love you so dearly and miss you as well. Hug each other for us and enjoy GW studies.
Love Karrots