I have a daughter who once spent 7 hours in her crib (including frequent check-backs from Mom & Dad with opportunities to reconcile) because she would not say "please" for her drink at the lunch table. Same precious daughter is sitting alone at the now-cleared dinner table, red faced, tear streaked, and completely terrified by the fish that I baked for dinner.
I can hear her in there grousing to herself, "Why DID Mama have to make fish anyhow? It's BAD fish, I tell you, BAD! Fish - pee yoo, right-o! And if I DON'T eat it, she's gonna keep it in the refrigerator and make me have it for breakfast, but I don't WANT to eat it for breakfast! Maybe I should just throw it in the trash and eat nothing... oh man, I'm broken!"
It occurs to me that I have, at different times in my life, looked with disdain and fear on what it is that God has prepared for me. I have wondered WHY He has given me a particular circumstance, I have wondered why I can't just throw it away and eat nothing. I have said to myself or my husband, "Oh man, I'm broken!" I have wanted to walk away and hope He didn't serve it up to me again for breakfast. But you know, in His Goodness...He always does. I've learned to eat my "fish", and I've learned to have a happy heart about it - most of the time.
Little sweetie girl hasn't learned that her fish tastes as good right now as it is ever going to taste - it's all down hill from here. Our dinner contest has quickly changed from being about fish. Now it's about obedience, and trust. Hmmm... just like God and me.
2 comments:
How true, how familiar, how instructive!
"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish [apparently not a universal request ;-)...], will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"
Life with these little ones give us eyes to see our own fearful stubbornness and need to trust. Thank you for posting this, Em. It brought a smile and prayer for a yielded, surrendered heart.
Love you tons! M'Liss
Hmmmm, I think I have been throwing a year long fit about my fish! ;-) Honestly though, what a perfect illustration of how we misunderstand what God has for us because its not what we prefer, or what we ask for. We think because the taste of the fish isn't too our liking we can refuse it. But let me tell you, warmed-over fish for breakfast...not my favorite.
Thank you for the humorous and accurate illustration Emma - what a great way to end my day.
I love you.
Karrie
Post a Comment