Sunday, February 4, 2007

Happy Dance

Gracie has a new habit that is adorable, hilarious, and inspiring all at the same time... we call it her happy dance.

She does a little jig - all elbows and heels, like Jiminy Cricket - and while she dances back and forth, she sings, "I'm Happy! I'm Happy! I'm Happy Happy Happy! I'm Happy! I'm Happy! Wheee!" It seems impossible for any of the rest of us to be UNhappy in the face of this dance.

This week we are concentrating on infusing more joy into our home. Kevin has been reading John Ortberg's book, The Life You've Always Wanted and it has been convicting to both of us. Lastnight we decided to try something a little drastic by some accounts.

We have unplugged the TV - playstation, DVD player, cable box - everything - and for this entire week (hopefully longer) we will have no entertainment of this kind. I am excited by the possibilities this presents... more time, earlier to bed, earlier to rise, more FAMILY time, more peace.

You know me, I'm sort of a drastic measures type of person, and I'm ready for this... God has been preparing me, preparing our hearts for it. I have a feeling that before this week is out, we'll all be doing a happy dance together!

6 comments:

Kat said...

"An dey aw lafe" ;) (I love the cool picture of the tower...good reminder of what the verse is talking about!)

Kat said...

I think I got the previous comment on the wrong place...oops! You know what I mean :).

Kat said...

(this is really for this post now!) May God strengthen you to do what is necessary to have a home that is truly GLORIFYING to Him, whatever that means for you guys! This is an encouragement to the rest of us to look at our days and see what might need to be reconsidered in light of our eternal purpose. Thank you for infecting the rest of us with your joy!

Karrie Diggs said...

I second Katie's words. It gives me pause to look at how our time is used and how it can be better used for God's glory and purpose. The possibilities seem endless when we give ourselves over more fully. Thank you for sharing your journey in this - I want to hear about it all along the way!
Love you much. Karrot

Emmachka said...

Hi girls, thank you for the encouragement on this one! It's evening of day two, and it has been great! Today I even rearranged the livingroom so that the TV is not the focal point... I love that! So... I'll keep you posted, but it's all good so far!
Love you so much... Em.

Michal said...

That is great! I love Gracie's happy dance :) Um, my roommate does the same thing... and she's nineteen... but that's maybe while I love her so much :) I will be praying for your family, and for all of us (even though my "home" is a 12x14 dorm room) that we can all make our homes glorifying to Him and edifying for us. Amen!